BRYAN DOUGLAS ANTIQUE SILVER DOCUMENTATION
This system consists of two major portions:
1. The Website where customers can view and order items.
2. The Maintenance Site where we can upload photos and add / change / or delete items etc.
The Customer Website
This consists of a number of static html and dynamic PhP files. Pretty much all the main web pages that the customer sees have a
similar layout that includes top and bottom borders, the top and bottom navigation links, and the basic and advanced search options.
Static HTML files include:
Dynamic PhP files include:
Index or Home PageA Static Page showing a central photo of the shop that changes every few seconds, which is also a link to the Inventory Page. You should use this page to give the customer messages say at Christmas, New Year, or any other unusual opening/closing times etc.
Inventory PageA Static Page showing a list of categories of silver in alphabetical order with thumbnail photos.
Contact Us PageA Static Page showing address details, opening hours, directions, and a map.
About Us PageA Static Page showing general information of who, what, and where we are.
About Silver PageA Static Page showing information about the British system of hallmarking. Also links to three other static pages about British Silversmiths, information about silver-smithing, and another page about decorative styles in silver
Terms and Copyright Page
Advanced Search Page
The Maintenance Site
This consists of a Main Menu followed by various sub-menus.
How to Get onto the Maintenance Site
Using any Browser, type in www.bryandouglas.co.uk/control/programs/main_menu.php on the address bar and hit enter
This will prompt you for the UserId and Password then press enter
The Main Menu consists of:
1. Mount Photos
2. List Inventory Items
3. Add Inventory Items
4. Change Inventory Item
5. Delete Inventory Item
6. Add, Change, or Delete Categories
7. Create Static Pages
8. Create Learn More Pages
9. Create XML Site Map
List Inventory Items
Add Inventory Items
Change Inventory Item
Delete Inventory Item
Add, Change, or Delete Categories
Create Static Pages
Create Learn More Pages
Create XML Site Map
If you need to make changes to these static files then you have to:
1. Make the changes to the correponding php file on the master computer.
2. Download that php file to the server using FTP
3. Run the corresponding php on the server through the Maintenance Site.
For example if you wanted to change the Inventory page, then make changes to it using an editor such as Geany, then upload the changed php file to the server using an FTP client such as FileZilla, then access the Maintenance Site, goto the Update Static Files option and look for the Inventory PhP file and action the update. This will send a message to the screen to tell you it was successfull. The goto the Invenory page on the website and check your changes (you may need to refresh the webpage).
Semi-static & semi-dynamic files include:
- each category within the folder /silverware has an associated file which includes:
- a list view which displays each item in ascending price order with a thumbnail image, stock number, description, price, add to order button, and a PayPal button.
- a grid view which displays each item across the page in ascending price order, but only the thumbnails & price. - each item has a corresponding detail page with 3 to 5 photos, together with stock number, description, price, add to order button, and a PayPal button.
How to FTP
Use a client such as FileZilla
The Host is www.bryandouglas.co.uk
The protocol is FTP
The encryption is just plain FTP
The Logon Type is Normal
The User ID is *******
The password is ******
The Structure of the File SystemOnce logged into the server, all the files are in the public_html sub-directory.
Within this sub-directory are further sub-directories. There are a number of them, but the most important ones are listed here:
- control - this holds all the php programs in four further sub-directories which are:
functions - all php functions required
includes - all inline includes
programs - all php programs
static-files - all static php programs that generate the static pages listed above
web_photos - all transient photos currently been processed that have been downloaded and used by the Mount Photos option in the Main Menu
- images - this holds all the jpegs, gifs, and png files used on the website
- silverware - this holds all the silver categories, stock numbers, and associated html files and photo images.